IT WOULD be well if Defense Minister Abbott would table in Parliament and publish the complete record of the trial of Nazi General Kurt Meyer. At this writing no one in Canada, not even Mr. Abbott himself, has read the evidence— there is no copy on this side of the Atlantic.
WE HAVE two first-sale fiction stories in this issue, from writers whose only common ground (apart from both being 39) is that both had been writing unsuccessfully for years before they clicked almost simultaneously with Maclean’s. Anka Stewart (“The Scar,” page nine, a $500 prize winner in Maclean’s Short Story Contest) is a naturalized Canadian.
NO SOONER is complete victory obtained by the “peace-loving nations” over the “aggressors” than the question of the future defense arrangements of the Empire takes its place high up on the agenda of the Commonwealth Cabinets who tender advice on this and other matters to the Crown.By STEPHEN KING-HALL
LIKE everyone else, I had read that the Gallup Poll said 34%, of all Canadians thought women’s hats were awful. I didn’t really realize until a few days ago just what dopes the other 66%, were. I’ve been victimized by my wife’s hats for some time.By SCOTT YOUNG
THE STREETCAR whined into a curve, as if dreading the long, bleak stretches between the lighted intersections; bumping over switches, making its passengers nod and bounce in unison. Beside the window, chin in hand, Bruce MacKenzie seemed to be staring out moodily into the rain-shiny street; but in the dark looking glass of the windowpane he was watching, gloating when he caught their eyes.By ANKA STEWART
ONCE there wan a family there are plenty like it—in which the mother couldn’t stand the strain of spanking her little hoy when he was naughty. So it was decided the father should take over the department of spanking. Then one day .Johnny used a cuss word that horrified his mother.
TO THE men planning the Second Front Dieppe was all but forgotten. The lessons of that reconnaissance in force had already been incorporated in four successful assault landings—North Africa, Sicily, Salerno and Anzio—and the raw technique and outmoded equipment that hurled the Canadians into bloody Dieppe had, in 18 months, been improved and elaborated beyond recognition.By L. S. B. SHAPIRO
JOHN LAWRIE stood up und crossed to the duststreaked office window. He was a big man, six foot two, but plow stooped from years spent trying to wheat farm a half section of what was only fuir pasture in the first place, until he gave it up and took to selling farm machinery for T. J. Adams.By JOHN BOLSTER
SO THIS was the United Nations Assembly, the offspring of the League of Nations that died in giving it birth. Belgium’s Paul-Henri Spaak was in the chair, his face a strange blend of cherub and poker player. It would be a good psychologist who could read his thoughts.By BEVERLEY BAXTER
IN HIS annual message to Congress President Truman designated inflation as "our greatest immediate domestic problem." Everything that has happened since the turn of the year con firms this judgment. The flow of civilian production has been re tarded by strikes.By ERNEST K. LINDLEY
The story you want is part of the Maclean’s Archives. To access it, log in here or sign up for your free 30-day trial.
Experience anything and everything Maclean's has ever published — over 3,500 issues and 150,000 articles, images and advertisements — since 1905. Browse on your own, or explore our curated collections and timely recommendations.WATCH THIS VIDEO for highlights of everything the Maclean's Archives has to offer.